Hello Everyone! Welcome to my blog where I will be posting my reactions/ thoughts about various articles and other readings pertaining to my Cyberspace Culture course. Feel free to leave your comments and Thanks for stopping by! ~Briana

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Session 10 Readings - Economics & Work

“The Economies of Online Cooperation” article by Kollock was an interesting read. He makes a point that because online interaction is relatively anonymous and there’s no central authority, it is nearly impossible to impose monetary or physical sanctions on someone. The article focuses on the great amount of sharing and cooperation that occurs online. It’s very true that people give away a lot of valuable information through the Internet…the same information that many professionals charge big bucks to divulge. It's referred to in the article as gifting or providing public goods. Kollock poses the question: Why would anyone give away such valuable knowledge and advice for free?

I think there may be various motives involved sometimes, but in most cases, I think people are just generous and if they have information that can help someone, they are willing to share it. It’s just a sincere, selfless act. The article pointed out one’s reputation as a possible motivation for contributing information…a very valid point. If someone is providing high quality information, displaying a willingness to help others, and showing eloquent writing skills, they can build a good reputation in their online community. I think some people just gain satisfaction from knowing that they have influence on people and the environment. From personal experience, when I’ve helped someone online, and then they’ve come back and told me how they took my advice and it served them well, I felt good about it…like I made a difference. A lot of times, I think there’s also a factor of reciprocity. People give and take information between one another...sort of a "I'll scratch your back, you scratch mine" relationship. Sharing ideas and other information online is such a great thing!

An article based on a survey conducted to find out why people contribute free information: "Why Do People Write Free Documentation? Results of a Survey"

1 comment:

Lauren said...

It is quite puzzling that professionals would give their knowledge away for free online where they would charge a lot of money in real life to give the same services. However, the "pay it forward" mentality of the internet I think reflects the true nature of human motivation.

Human beings would rather create lasting relationships than be greedy, as our society often dictates.